Skip to main content

An Open Letter To My Teacher

Dear Tess,

While I've had many teachers throughout my life, none have brought as much meaning to my life as you have. Even though you aren't technically one of my teachers, you still manage to give me a life lesson every now and then, and for that, I'll always be grateful.

You've taught me what it means to be a Christian.
You're the one. The one who brought me back to my faith. The one who was persistent and showed compassion on me, even if I didn't deserve it. The one who made me step back and realize what a woman who loves God looks like. And I wanted to be just like you. Reaching out to me after the whirlwind year I went through, I didn't think much of your invitation. No way could I face God after what he put me through, but you showed and taught me what a loving God he is. He always has a purpose and will never leave one of his children in a time of need. 

You've taught me what a woman is.
I'm in such awe of you. The way you carry and present yourself, to the way you live your life authentically, without fear of what others think. I admire that, because not many people are able to do that. I see the way you are with your fiance, and whether you'll ever admit it or not, you're going to be the type of wife I hope I can be one day. You take charge and never settle. You're a thrill searcher and God seeker. The world may only ever have room for one Tess, but it would be better off if more people were like you, and had your heart of gold.

You've taught me what forgiveness is.
You took me in and accepted me when I didn't accept myself. You loved me when I couldn't even look at myself in the mirror. I was ashamed of who I let myself become in those eleven months. I was a mess and a shell of the person I used to be. I was filled with hatred at him and at God. But you never backed down. You listened to me every time I needed someone, even if you heard it twenty times before. You offered advice until I finally listened and took it. You helped me get back on feet. You helped me give him the forgiveness he wasn't asking for, and you helped me receive the forgiveness I desperately needed from God.

You've taught me what it means to be a leader.
I've always attempted to be a woman in a position of power. The type of woman whose makeup is flawless and hair nicely pulled back with heels on. The type of woman who makes everyone's head turn when she walks into a room. Yet, you're able to do that without anything of those things. And that's how I knew I had it all wrong. A leader isn't someone who is superior to others or out shows everyone; a leader is you. You can capture people's attention by just being yourself, and I want to be able to do that one day. You have the hardest job: teaching high school students about Jesus. But you do it with such grace and accuracy. Keep up the good job, and never ever stop because you don't feel like you're making a difference, because I promise you someone is always watching and listening. 

It may take all of this life and more to repay you for the love and kindness you've shown me. I don't know where I'd be in life without you redirecting me into the right direction. But I do know that I won't ever meet a person quite like you. Thank you for all you've done and will do.

Love, 
A Forever Grateful Senior



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing Perspectives

What if, at the end of the day, we focus on what's holding us together,  rather than what's tearing us apart? Do you ever feel like you're just barely holding on?  ...like life couldn't possible get any worse?  Do you feel like you're running in circles in your relationship and you don't know why? ...like you're constantly fighting about the same things, and nothing ever gets better? What would happen if you decided to just take a step back for a second and remember? Really look into her eyes and see the beauty that is your girl.  Remember why you fell for her in the first place.  Remember the laugh that only happens when you're around.  Remember the late night talks spent getting to know one another all those years ago.  Remember all those little things about her. And then learn how to love again. Hold her hand. Laugh with her. Hold her softly. Calm all of her fears..gently.  Make her know that she i

A Letter To You, My Love

Dear you, Distance is supposed to make the heart grow fonder right? Distance also tests us, and challenges us, and makes us say and do things we wish we could take back as soon as the words are said. The stubborn, selfish side of me says that my heart grows just as fond of you when I'm living 10 minutes away from you, not 2 hours. I hate being away from you. But the real side of me, the side you fell in love with, the selfless, the kind-hearted, the compassionate woman I am proud to be, knows this distance is going to be so worth it in the end. It's going to force us to put one another first in all circumstances. It's going to test our love, and make us prove how much the other person means to each other. It's going to show us whether or not we're really a priority in our busy lives. Communication and trust are key in making us work. Simple texts throughout the day, a random selfie, a late night unexpected phone call, and so much more become so precious and valu

Homesick

Home has always been the place where you feel you most belong and are accepted. Home can be so many different things to so many different people. But the thing I've come to learn, is that home isn't always a place. Home can be a thing you love, a certain scent or feeling, or a person you can't live without. I've become homesick for a place I'm not even sure exists even more, a place where I'm at peace and loved by him without a worry in the world. My home became him. And I worry that I will never completely be at home again, because my heart is constantly elsewhere. But, maybe that's the price you pay for allowing someone in. Then, all of a sudden you're in a place you're supposed to enjoy and fall in love with, but all you can think about is being home and how you're not there. You became my home because I left my heart with you while I was gone, knowing you would still be there with it when I got back. I miss you. I mi