Skip to main content

When It's Real

I've never been okay with myself.

I've never liked what I've seen in the mirror.

I've never accepted my body.

I've always wondered what it feels like to be skinny, and thin, and wake up in the morning with cute pj's and messy hair, that 'just woke up look' and still have someone think I'm attractive. To have guys look at me and want to be my boyfriend, and have girls jealous of me as I walk past. I wonder what it feels like to feel my hipbones and collarbones, to feel confident in a bikini, to sit down and not feel fat everywhere, or rub out the thighs of all of my pants. I wonder what it's like to look in the mirror and like what I see.


I spent most of my time running away from love because I was afraid they wouldn't like what's underneath.

But the reason I did this, is because I had no idea what love actually was.

I thought love was about red roses and expensive dinners. I thought when two people loved each other, they would always get married. I thought love was always pretty and romantic. But that's not what love is.

Love is giving up half your fries when the other person said they weren't hungry. Love is waking up at 4am to snoring, and not pushing them off the bed.  It's trying to embarrass one another in public, and trying to make the other person laugh. Love is going on adventures and making fun of each other. Love is stumbling through life with your best friend.

And really, what it all comes down to, and what I wasn't understanding, is that if it's real, it's not about what what's underneath your clothes, it goes a little further, down to your heart. If you have a pretty heart, it'll attract the good ones in life, and will make your outside as pretty as your heart.

Because one day, he's going to know all of you, including your heart.

He'll know your birthday, your middle name, where you were born, your zodiac sign, and your parent's names. He'll know how your grandparents passed away, and how old you were when you learned to ride a bike. He'll know how many pets you've had, and all their names. He'll know your eye color, your birth marks, all your freckles, and your laugh lines. He'll know your favorite song, movie, food, color, and book.

One day he's going to know why you're always awake at 4am most nights, where you were when you realized you lost a really good friend, and what went through your head when you experienced your first heartbreak.

He will know your dreams, your fears, your wishes, and your worries. He's going to know all about the guy before him, your dream wedding, and the problems with your parents. He'll know your strengths and weaknesses, your laziness, energy, and your mixed emotions.

He'll know about your bad habits, your manners, the way your pout your lips, your facial expressions, and he will know your laugh like it's his favorite song. He will know the way you chew, drink, walk, sleep, fidget, and kiss. He's going to know how you feel without you even having to say a word.

He's going to know all of it.

You, from top to bottom, and inside and out.
From learning, from sharing, from listening, from watching.

He's going to know every single thing is to know, and you know what else?

He's going to know your heart, and if it's real, he's still going to love you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing Perspectives

What if, at the end of the day, we focus on what's holding us together,  rather than what's tearing us apart? Do you ever feel like you're just barely holding on?  ...like life couldn't possible get any worse?  Do you feel like you're running in circles in your relationship and you don't know why? ...like you're constantly fighting about the same things, and nothing ever gets better? What would happen if you decided to just take a step back for a second and remember? Really look into her eyes and see the beauty that is your girl.  Remember why you fell for her in the first place.  Remember the laugh that only happens when you're around.  Remember the late night talks spent getting to know one another all those years ago.  Remember all those little things about her. And then learn how to love again. Hold her hand. Laugh with her. Hold her softly. Calm all of her fears..gently.  Make her know that she i

A Letter To You, My Love

Dear you, Distance is supposed to make the heart grow fonder right? Distance also tests us, and challenges us, and makes us say and do things we wish we could take back as soon as the words are said. The stubborn, selfish side of me says that my heart grows just as fond of you when I'm living 10 minutes away from you, not 2 hours. I hate being away from you. But the real side of me, the side you fell in love with, the selfless, the kind-hearted, the compassionate woman I am proud to be, knows this distance is going to be so worth it in the end. It's going to force us to put one another first in all circumstances. It's going to test our love, and make us prove how much the other person means to each other. It's going to show us whether or not we're really a priority in our busy lives. Communication and trust are key in making us work. Simple texts throughout the day, a random selfie, a late night unexpected phone call, and so much more become so precious and valu

Homesick

Home has always been the place where you feel you most belong and are accepted. Home can be so many different things to so many different people. But the thing I've come to learn, is that home isn't always a place. Home can be a thing you love, a certain scent or feeling, or a person you can't live without. I've become homesick for a place I'm not even sure exists even more, a place where I'm at peace and loved by him without a worry in the world. My home became him. And I worry that I will never completely be at home again, because my heart is constantly elsewhere. But, maybe that's the price you pay for allowing someone in. Then, all of a sudden you're in a place you're supposed to enjoy and fall in love with, but all you can think about is being home and how you're not there. You became my home because I left my heart with you while I was gone, knowing you would still be there with it when I got back. I miss you. I mi