Skip to main content

An Open Letter To My Mentor

Dear Dennis,

You. 

You are the reason I'm still standing tall and making it through high school. Without you, I wouldn't be on the path I am on right now.

You embraced me and took me under your wing freshman year, and our relationship quickly grew from there. Whether it was seeking answers to my multitude of questions in any of my English classes over the years, to seeking advice when it came to everything else, you never backed down and always managed to see me through to the other side. 

Your room became a safe haven for me. A place where I could go and complain about my school work until I sucked it up and got it done. A place where we both exchanged many laughs and tears. A place where sometimes the only thing filling the air was silence. 

You're so taken for granted by everyone. The way you intertwine your passion for literature and love of teaching is something amazing, and something I hope to have one day. You put your all into what you do for your classes and sometimes that results in some heart ache and tears when the kids don't embrace what you throw their way. I'm so thankful we have a relationship where you allow to also listen and give feedback and advice, and yell at those jerks that made you cry in the first place.

We've shared so much together. You let me hide out in your room the day after I had my heart ripped out and shattered into a million pieces, complete with a pretty ugly cry and all. You've always kept candy in that special drawer for yourself, even though you knew I would end up eating most of it. You let me be your teaching assistant this year, just so I could start off my high school career in your classroom, and finish it in there as well. You always wanted to hear about the latest guy in my life, and wouldn't let up until I showed you a picture so you could see how cute he is. When I was sick, your room always seemed to be the best place to curl up on a table and sleep for a period or two. 

The day I graduate is the day I no longer get to be with you in the same building. But I will never stop having you be my teacher and friend.

Thank you for everything you have so effortlessly and selflessly done for me over these past four years. Stay you, Den.

Love,
Your Favorite and Forever Grateful Student

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons Learned

18 years. 216 months. 936 weeks. 6750 days. 157680 hours. 9460800 minutes. 567648000 seconds. Life has a funny way of getting away from you really quickly. One minute you're 5 running around a farm chasing barn cats and feeding the goats, and the next minute you're crying over boys and getting ready to pack up everything and move away to college. But the thing I've come to realize is that life didn't change, you  changed. You might fall down, but you need to learn how to stand back up, brush it off, and never let the same thing knock you over twice. 1. People are temporary; So are feelings. It's a part of life. One of the hardest things I've had to learn how to deal with is how to say goodbye to people I didn't want to let go of, and hello to people I was skeptical about letting in. I didn't want to say goodbye because I was happy and content, and even if I wasn't all the time, it's still what I was used to, a...

The End Of The Beginning

Life has a way of sneaking up on you. One minute you're a little kid running around the playground without a care in the world. Then, you're a middle schooler who has just discovered black eye liner. But then suddenly, you become an adult and you're wrapping up four years of high school. And you realize that in the blink of an eye, you're not a kid anymore, and you're heading out into the real world to try and make it on your own. You're torn. You want to be happy because of everything you accomplished to get you across the graduation stage. But, you're also sad, because you feel as though you didn't get a chance to do everything you wanted and you want a second chance, a do over. But hear me when I say this: It isn't the end, it's only the beginning. You will have more chances to do what you wanted with who you wanted. You'll have an entire lifetime to love on whomever you want, and there will come a time when it an be wh...

Homesick

Home has always been the place where you feel you most belong and are accepted. Home can be so many different things to so many different people. But the thing I've come to learn, is that home isn't always a place. Home can be a thing you love, a certain scent or feeling, or a person you can't live without. I've become homesick for a place I'm not even sure exists even more, a place where I'm at peace and loved by him without a worry in the world. My home became him. And I worry that I will never completely be at home again, because my heart is constantly elsewhere. But, maybe that's the price you pay for allowing someone in. Then, all of a sudden you're in a place you're supposed to enjoy and fall in love with, but all you can think about is being home and how you're not there. You became my home because I left my heart with you while I was gone, knowing you would still be there with it when I got back. I miss you. I mi...